September 24, 2017
3:30 PM to 5:00 PM
Pohick Regional Library
6450 Sydenstricker Rd., Burke, VA 22015
Burke Historical Society Meeting
To mark the renewal of the academic year, we’ll learn about one of Fairfax County’s last remaining one-room schoolhouses from docent, Bob Coffin. The Legato School was established in 1877 on Warrenton Pike (now Lee Highway) between Fairfax and Centreville. After more than half a century of operation, it closed in 1930 as Fairfax County moved to consolidate its schools into larger regional buildings. In 1969, the Fairfax County School Board choose to restore the Legato School as a historic museum and have it moved to its present location in the City of Fairfax.