November 9, 2021 - November 10, 2021
9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
214 McNair Road, Arlington, VA 22211
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Centennial Commemoration
For the first time in nearly 100 years, and as part of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Centennial Commemoration, the public will be able to walk on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Plaza and lay flowers in front of the Tomb on Nov. 9 and 10, 2021.
Registration is required at Eventbrite.com: https://anctomb100.eventbrite.com/
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Centennial Commemoration Public Flower Ceremony, a two-day event, will be free and open to the public and will allow them to personally pay their respects to the Unknown Soldiers. This is a rare opportunity for the public to walk next to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, a privilege otherwise given only to the Sentinels of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, “The Old Guard.”
• The flower ceremony will be held Tuesday, Nov. 9, and Wednesday, Nov. 10.
• The hours to participate are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Visitors are encouraged to bring their own flowers, but complimentary roses, gerbera daisies and sunflowers will be distributed.
• Trams will be available free of charge for the public to participate in the ceremony at the Memorial Amphitheater. Follow all signage and staff directions to access the Memorial Amphitheater and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
• The flower ceremony will start on Nov. 9 at 8 a.m. with representatives from the Crow Nation placing flowers at the Tomb and reciting the prayer given 100 years ago by American-Indian Chief Plenty Coups.
• Interpretive talks will be given from the Memorial Amphitheater west steps (side closest to Mast of the Maine Memorial) throughout the day.
• Educational and directional signage will be along Memorial Avenue and at the Memorial Amphitheater.
• This event will take place rain or shine.
• The event is ADA accessible as well as stroller-friendly.
• All visitors must have a government-issued ID for access. Cemetery entrances include:
- Ord and Weitzel Gate (Pedestrians only)
- 123 Service Complex (Pedestrians only)
- Old Post Chapel Gate (Family pass holder vehicle access/General public pedestrian access)
- Memorial Ave (Family pass holder vehicle access)
- Welcome Center (Pedestrian access)