The Battle of Brandy Station was one of history's greatest cavalry engagements with over 20,000 troops, including 17,000 cavalry, engaged in battle. Although the Union advance was repelled, the overwhelming dominance of the Confederate cavalry was broken. The Graffiti House is a two-story frame structure, believed to have been built in 1858. Local tradition holds that the building was used as a hospital by both Union and Confederate forces. The walls of the second floor contain inscriptions, drawings, messages, and signatures of Civil War soldiers, hence the name “Graffiti House.” The graffiti could have been made by soldiers recuperating in the hospital, by other soldiers posted at Brandy Station, or by soldiers passing through the town. Brandy Station was a strategic location and a junction of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, and of roads leading to Kelly’s Ford and Beverly’s Ford on the Rappahannock River.