The Workhouse Military in the Arts Initiative (WMAI) is rooted in the Workhouse Arts Center’s desire to address the needs and to improve the lives of military service members, veterans, their families, and caregivers through the arts.
WMAI programming has been made possible through donations, fundraising, sponsorships and grants. All programs, art therapy services, and classes are FREE to service members and their family members. New programs are constantly being added. Click HERE to see our complete list of available programs.
• Individual & Group Art Therapy in a supportive, provided in a non-clinical environment
• Open Studio Saturdays for military artists, family members and caregivers
• Dedicated Sunday Ceramics and Glass weekly classes for Service Members Only
• Recovery Forge Open Studio every weekend (Saturday & Sunday, Spring through Fall)
COVID-19 UPDATE AND WORKHOUSE POLICY: At this time, we are asking for participates to please register in advance for all Open Studio and Make & Take workshops. Group sizes are limited with social distancing and cleaning practices in place. We also ask that all participates follow CDC guidelines and wear a mask or face covering when attending group, workshops, or programming at the Workhouse Art Center and Workhouse Military in the Arts Initiative.
The WMAI Open Studio is intended to foster creativity and encourage experimentation in an atmosphere of cultural exchange, conversation, encouragement, and freedom of expression. The Open Studio is monitored and run by our art therapist, military artist in resident and guest professional artists, from the Workhouse Art Center. Designed to bring military families, veterans, retirees, active duty and reservists together, the WMAI Open Studio allows the current or former service member a chance to express themselves artistically, and work alongside fellow service members in a safe and creativity-fueled environment.
- Open Studio is FREE and occurs every Saturday from 12-3PM in the Warrior Way Art Studio, located in Building W-16.
- The second Saturday in each month is Family Day, where veterans are encouraged to bring family members.
- No previous art experience is necessary.