THE STEVEN F. UDVAR-HAZY CENTER
The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center will reopen on Wednesday, May 5 - the 60th anniversary the first U.S. human spaceflight by Alan Shepard. Please visit their website for free timed-entry passes and information on visiting. They will be open daily from 10:00 am – 5:30 pm.
Also opening in May:
- Friday, May 14
- National Museum of African American History and Culture (Wednesday – Sunday, 11 am – 4:00 pm)
- National Portrait Gallery (Wednesday – Sunday, 11:30 am – 7:00 pm)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum (Wednesday – Sunday, 11:30 am – 7:00 pm)
- Renwick Gallery (Wednesday – Sunday, 10:00 am – 5:30 pm)
- Friday, May 21
- National Museum of American History (Friday – Tuesday, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm)
- National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, DC (Wednesday – Sunday 11:00 am – 4:00 pm)
- National Zoo (Daily 8:00 am – 4:00 pm)
What You Need to Know About Visiting the Udvar-Hazy Center
Operating Hours will remain the same, 10:00 am – 5:30 pm daily.
Timed entry passes will be required for all visitors. This will allow for sufficient social distancing and the ability to clean/disinfect areas of the building frequently. Passes are free and may be reserved online at s.si.edu/UHCTickets.
- Groups greater than six people cannot be accommodated at this time. We look forward to a future time when we can accept group reservations, remaining mindful of safety factors and visitor comfort levels. We will announce any changes to group policies as soon as we can.
Face coverings will be required for all visitors ages two and older upon entry and throughout their visit in the Center, and must be worn over both the nose and mouth. Face coverings must fit properly, with no large gaps on the outside of the face, be a minimum of two layers, and may not have an exhalation valve. Bandanas, and gaiters are not permitted and face shields may not be used as a substitute for a face covering. This applies to all visitors, including those who have been vaccinated.
- Some artifacts will not be on view. Last year, a construction project to repair the roof of the Boeing Aviation Hangar began. This itwo-year project is still ongoing, and will be completed in phases. The artifacts positioned under the section that is being worked on will be covered for protection. This includes "Engine Alley," near the ramp to the main floor, the aisle against the wall behind some of the Cold War artifacts, and the south end of the Hangar, including helicopters, and some commercial aviation aircraft.
- Amenities will be closed during the Center’s initial reopening. This includes the Airbus IMAX Theater, simulator rides, virtual reality experience, Donald D. Engen Observation Tower, educational interactives. Lockers will also be unavailable at this time. For the protection of visitors and our volunteers, tours and on-site educational programs have been suspended temporarily. The Museum's store will be open.
The Welcome Center will be virtually staffed. Web cameras and screens will be positioned at the Welcome Desk, allowing for live interaction between on-site visitors and off-site volunteers and staff.
Food service will not be available when the museum first reopens. We look forward to welcoming Shake Shack later this year.
- Parking is $15 per car; free for vehicles arriving on the grounds after 4:00 pm. Same-day re-entry is permitted for visitors who wish to leave the grounds. They will need to pay at a staffed booth - and ask for a receipt to avoid a second parking charge. The 30-minute grace period for pickups and drop-offs will continue to be honored and parking is free for buses. Credit card payment will be accepted at the exit gates, as well as at the pay stations inside the Center. Cash payments must be made at one of the two staffed exit gates (far right side). Please note that receipts are only available at the staffed exit gates.
- New safety/cleaning protocols were put into place while the museum was closed and will continue to be enforced as we welcome visitors. This includes social distancing, the requirement for facial coverings, and comprehensive cleaning/disinfecting measures. Public restrooms and hand sanitizers are positioned throughout the Center. People who are not feeling well are requested to stay home and plan their visit for another day.
Prepare for your Visit
- Reserve your timed entry passes at s.si.edu/UHCTickets.
- Please be prepared to wear facial coverings and be mindful of social distancing practices. Download a Museum floor plan. This will help you navigate the Museum.
- Dress comfortably.
- Minimize your carry-ons. All bags will continue to be checked. When the Center reopens, lockers will not be available.
- Water is permitted in the Museum and we have water bottle filling stations located in the building. All other food and beverages must be consumed outside.
- Photos for personal use are welcome and we encourage you to share them. However, Smithsonian policy prohibits the use of tripods, monopods, and selfie sticks.
The Museum in Washington, DC, will remain closed at this time. The large, multi-year construction is continuing, with all staff adhering to safety protocols. We will keep you apprised of a reopening date.
If you can't visit in person, the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum invites you to explore their Air and Space Anywhere digital portal from the comfort of your own home.
The Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is the second location of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on the National Mall. Together, they hold the world’s largest aviation and space collection. The Udvar-Hazy Center is located south of the Washington Dulles International Airport's runways, and contains rare artifacts of aerospace like planes, rockets, and satellites. Some of the highlights include the Space Shuttle Discovery, an SR-71 Blackbird, and the Enola Gay. Check their calendar of events to see their virtual activities. Open every day except December 25 from 10:00 am - 5:30 pm Admission is FREE but parking costs $15 before 4:00 pm. Parking is free for vehicles arriving AFTER 4:00 pm.