The Visit Fairfax team has been hard at work selling and promoting Fairfax County to potential clients, groups, and media. The team is always happy to share updates from tradeshows, appointments, and events. Read on for an updated list of recent activities and what will be happening over the next few months. You may find that this information can benefit your business.
Association & Reunions Market:
- This fall, Visit Fairfax was on the road attending three gatherings of military reunion planners, looking to book additional military reunion groups. We attended events in Portland, ME and Nashville, TN hosted by The Military Reunion Network (TMRN), and in Savannah, GA, hosted by Your Military Reunion Connection (YMRC). (see photo.) In February, we’ll head south to Myrtle Beach, SC for another YMRC event, meeting face-to-face with another group of reunion planners.
- Visit Fairfax conducted a full day of sales calls on Virginia state association accounts in Richmond, VA in October, and attended the Virginia Society of Association Executives (VSAE) Holiday luncheon in Richmond in December.
- Also in December, Visit Fairfax met one-on-one with more than 20 association and corporate planners at Connect DC, held at the Washington, DC Convention Center.
- In February, Visit Fairfax will be in Daytona Beach, FL for the Rendezvous South trade show, hosted by Convention South magazine, for two days of one-on-one planner appointments.
- Also in February, Visit Fairfax will play host to our exceptionally popular Visit Fairfax Family Reunion Workshop at the Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel in Herndon. This will be the 10th consecutive year we’ve co-hosted this event with Reunions Magazine, and we expect over 100 family reunion planners to attend, along with 20 of our great Fairfax County hotels, attractions, and service providers. (see photo)
- Visit Fairfax attended the Society of Government Meeting Professionals (SGMP) Annual Awards Banquet and Silent Auction on December 5, 2017. Proceeds from the event will benefit National Capital Chapter scholarships to attend SGMP’s National Education Conference & Expo in Norfolk, VA on June 5-7, 2018. Fairfax County hoteliers interested in attending the 2018 NEC can contact Eric Kulczycky at email@example.com. For more information about the Expo, click here.
- Visit Fairfax attended the TEAMS Conference & Expo (Travel, Events, And Management in Sports) in Orlando, FL from October 30 - November 2, 2017. In addition to its sponsorship of the conference (receiving marketing exposure on the conference keycard and website), Visit Fairfax generated 60+ lead opportunities through appointments, client events, and networking through its partnership with Sports Virginia. (see photo)
- At the county’s Sports Tourism Task Force meeting on November 15, Visit Fairfax gave a comprehensive presentation on event opportunities in this market by public and private facilities in the county, provided an overview of indoor and outdoor sports complexes throughout the U.S. (with an emphasis on existing and soon-to-be-developed facilities in Virginia), and discussed how Visit Fairfax approaches this market given the destination selection criteria of tournament directors. The Task Force formed a subcommittee to research the feasibility of an indoor complex with a track, basketball/volleyball courts, and space that would allow for multiple, non-sport uses (e.g., graduation ceremonies, concerts, etc.). Future Task Force meetings will focus on funding options and the potential formation of a sports commission.
Tour & Travel:
The first annual Spotlight on the Mid-Atlantic was put on by Mid-Atlantic Receptive Services in Baltimore, MD this past October. This allowed Visit Fairfax the opportunity to meet with tour operators and group leaders who are developing product for the Mid-Atlantic. Visit Fairfax was a co-sponsor of lunch along with the Tysons Corner Marriott and Marriott Mid-Atlantic.
Visit Fairfax attended a Sales Mission to Beijing, Nanjing, and Shanghai the week of November 17 - 22, 2017 along with the Virginia Beach Convention & Visitor Services. This sales mission focused on itinerary development with major Chinese tour operators. China was the #1 overseas inbound market into the Capital Region last year with 349,000 visitors to the area.
Travel South International took place this year in Charleston, SC. Visit Fairfax partnered with George Washington's Mount Vernon and Visit Loudoun on appointments for new itinerary development within Fairfax County and Northern Virginia. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in receiving the notes from this tradeshow.
The National Tour Association's annual Travel Exchange will be taking place from December 14-18, 2017 in San Antonio, TX. Visit Fairfax will have scheduled appointments with tour operators, helping to grow current relationships and develop new ones.
Visit Fairfax's National Sales Manager Melissa McClure has been selected to receive the Top 5 Young Professional (YP) award at NTA's Travel Exchange in recognition for her work as a young professional in the industry. Melissa has served as the Chair of NTA's Young Professional Advisory Committee for the past two years and has sat on several panels at NTA’s Travel Exchange. Melissa is honored to receive this award!
- Taking in the fall beauty at Great Falls Park was one of the highlights of the semi-annual Visit Fairfax Ambassador tour. Other fun and informative stops included the Mosaic District, the under-construction Caboose Brewing Co. and The Winery at Bull Run. The tour is part of the Ambassador program, offering two-hour classes for free. To set one up in your hotel, just contact Sue Porter at email@example.com.
Media & Communications:
- Visit Fairfax hosted a travel writer from Switzerland on a tour of the Northern Virginia region, focusing on what makes the region such a grand culinary destination. Thank you to the Hyatt Regency Reston, George Washington's Mount Vernon, Clyde's of Reston, Trattoria Villagio, Caboose Brewing Co. and all the other partners on this tour.
- Visit Fairfax is pleased to share some new clips that have recently been published as a result of previous familiarization tours of the county. Please contact Ali Morris for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit Fairfax continues to see incredible growth on our social media accounts. Please help us continue to grow by tagging us (@VisitFairfax) on your own accounts and by using our hashtag, #FXVA.
- Looking for ways to broaden your reach in the media? Be sure to sign-up for the upcoming Visit Fairfax corporate social responsibility marketing campaign, LoveShare. All we need from you is a special offer geared towards locals. That's it! Read more and submit your offer here.