Wow! That's a common statement from visitors when they enter the National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. Located near the end of Washington Dulles International Runways, the Udvar-Hazy Center is a must-see destination in Fairfax County.
The museum's massive exhibit spaces make it easy to social distance, while taking in some pretty amazing sites. The Boeing Aviation Hangar has nearly 200 aircraft on display, including an Air France Concorde, the last remaining World War I-era Sopwith Camel that was built by the Sopwith Company, the largest collections of Japanese and German World War II aircraft in the world, helicopters, commercial and private airplanes, and more.
Any "space geek" that steps into the McDonnell Space Hangar will feel like a kid in a candy store when they get up close to the Center's collection of space artifacts, including Space Shuttle Discovery, the Apollo 11 Mobile Quarantine Facility, space suits, rockets, satellites, and space toys (just to mention a few things.
The Museum also has a restoration hangar with an overlook for watching the conservation work underway on a number of artifacts, including the B-26 Maurader Flak Bait, which flew more missions than any other American plane during World War II.
Visitors can enhance their visit with an IMAX film on Northern Virginia's largest screen (open Wednesday - Sunday), enjoy a virtual reality space walk, and test their piloting skills in a flight simulator.
The Udvar-Hazy Center is open daily from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. Face coverings are required for all visitors ages 2 and older.
- Open For Business:
- Limited Services:
- Temporarily Closed:
- CDC Recommended Cleaning Procedures:
- Social Distancing Guidelines Enforced:
- Social Distance Markings/Signage:
- No Contact Services:
- Limited Elevator Occupancy:
- Single Point Entry:
- Sneeze Guards/Contact Barriers:
- Hand Wash/Sanitizer Stations:
- Virtual Events:
- Supplies Available for Guests: Hand Sanitizer
- Masks Required-Staff:
- Masks Required-Guest:
- Health Screening Required-Staff:
- Admission Fee: Free museum admission, $15 parking; free for vehicles entering the grounds after 4:00 pm.
- Payment Methods Accepted: American Express, Cash, Discover, Master Card, Visa
- Operating Hours: 10:00 am to 5:30 pm. Open every day except December 25
- Restrooms Onsite:
- Charge for Parking:
- Motorcoach/Bus Parking:
- Food Served: On-site food court
- Picnic tables:
- Handicap accessible:
- Hearing services available:
- Distance to Nearest Metro Station (mileage): 9
- Nearest Metro Station: Wiehle- Reston East
- Metro Line(s): Silver
- Additional Metro Info: Bus service is available from the Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station and Washington International Dulles Airport via Fairfax Connector's 983 bus. Visit fairfaxconnector.com for schedules and fare information.