Family Friendly Fun In Northern Virginia
Every year, tons of families visit Virginia and surrounding areas (such as Washington, DC) and find lots of family fun. From fun and interactive displays at the kid-friendly educational center at George Washington's Mount Vernon to the fastest jet in the world at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Center. Even to outdoor performing arts theaters, built JUST for kids. Northern Virginia has many kids and toddler activities that will have them saying "Best Trip Ever!"
If you are looking for the complete family vacation be sure to check out our family getaway in Northern Virginia itinerary or explore all the best activities for each age group in the search below.
Kid Friendly Entertainment
Check out these quick suggestions of things to do in Northern Virginia with your kids, otherwise, explore the listings below to find just what you are looking for.
So you’ve brought your teen to Northern Virginia. Now what? The good news is there are a plethora of things to do that BOTH you and your teen will enjoy (though maybe for different reasons.) Check out our teen scene blog for our ideas.
Where to Stay in Fairfax With Kids?
Visiting Washington D.C. with the family and need somewhere comfortable to stay? Fairfax County in Northern Virginia is minutes from DC and allows your family great lodging options without the price or hustle and bustle of DC. Check out all of our family hotel options and search for features of location. See you in Fairfax County!
Browse our family friendly listings
On the Blog
Family Friendly FAQs
Why is Fairfax County a good place for families to visit?
Fairfax County, located in Virginia, is an excellent destination for families to visit due to its numerous attractions, amenities, and family-friendly environment. The county offers a perfect blend of history, culture, and outdoor recreation. Fairfax County is also home to beautiful parks and outdoor spaces, offering opportunities for hiking, picnicking, and exploring nature. The county's proximity to Washington, D.C. allows families to easily access the nation's capital and explore its renowned museums, monuments, and attractions. Additionally, Fairfax County boasts excellent schools, safe neighborhoods, and a thriving community that values family-oriented activities. With its diverse range of attractions, cultural experiences, and outdoor adventures, Fairfax County provides an ideal setting for families to create lasting memories and enjoy a well-rounded vacation.
What are the most popular Northern Virginia attractions for families?
Northern Virginia offers a plethora of popular attractions that are well-suited for families. These attractions offer engaging experiences, educational opportunities, and outdoor recreation for families visiting Northern Virginia, making it an exciting and enriching destination for all ages. Here are some of the most notable ones:
- Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Chantilly): This museum is a must-visit for families, featuring an impressive collection of aircraft and space artifacts, including the Space Shuttle Discovery and the SR-71 Blackbird.
- Mount Vernon (Alexandria): The historic home of George Washington provides an immersive experience into the life of the first U.S. President. Families can explore the estate, visit the museum, and take part in hands-on activities and demonstrations.
- Great Falls Park (McLean): Known for its stunning waterfalls and scenic trails, Great Falls Park offers families the opportunity to enjoy nature, go hiking, have picnics, and witness the powerful Potomac River.
- Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts (Vienna): Families can enjoy outdoor concerts, theatrical performances, and children's shows at this renowned venue. The park also offers trails, picnic areas, and a variety of educational programs.
- NOVA Wild (Reston): Perfect for animal lovers, NOVA Wild houses a diverse collection of exotic and domestic animals. Visitors can observe and interact with a range of species, including kangaroos, lemurs, and reptiles.
- Meadowlark Botanical Gardens (Vienna): These stunning gardens provide a tranquil escape with beautiful landscapes, vibrant flora, and picturesque walking trails. Families can enjoy picnics, spot wildlife, and participate in seasonal events.
- National Museum of the Marine Corps (Triangle): Located just south of Northern Virginia, this museum offers an immersive experience, showcasing the history, traditions, and heroic stories of the United States Marine Corps through exhibits and interactive displays.
What things to do with kids is Northern Virginia known for?
One main thing that Northern Virginia is known for when it comes to activities with kids is its abundance of interactive and educational museums. The region is home to several world-class museums that cater specifically to children's interests and provide hands-on experiences. The most notable among them is the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly. This museum captivates young minds with its impressive collection of aircraft and space artifacts, allowing children to explore the wonders of aviation and space exploration firsthand. From climbing aboard historic planes to witnessing the actual Space Shuttle Discovery, kids can immerse themselves in a world of science, technology, and adventure. This unique museum experience is a highlight for families visiting Northern Virginia and is often regarded as a must-visit attraction for kids of all ages.
What are kid friendly things to do in Washington DC?
Washington, D.C. offers a wide range of kid-friendly activities that combine education, entertainment, and exploration. The Smithsonian museums are a top attraction, where children can immerse themselves in interactive exhibits and hands-on activities at the National Air and Space Museum, National Museum of Natural History, and National Museum of American History. A visit to the National Mall introduces kids to iconic landmarks like the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial, providing a chance to learn about American history and enjoy the expansive green spaces. The International Spy Museum offers an exciting experience, allowing children to delve into the world of espionage through immersive exhibits and spy challenges. Animal enthusiasts will delight in a trip to the Smithsonian's National Zoo, where they can observe a variety of captivating species. For a deeper appreciation of the natural world, the National Geographic Museum showcases exhibits on wildlife, cultures, and scientific discoveries. While the Newseum is set to close, it has been a popular choice, offering insights into journalism and the freedom of the press. The National Children's Museum has engaging STEAM-focused exhibits and educational experiences. Lastly, families can explore the United States Botanic Garden, where kids can discover the wonders of nature and learn about different plant species. Washington, D.C. is a treasure trove of kid-friendly activities, ensuring that children and their families have an enriching and memorable experience in the nation's capital. For more information make sure to check out our Washington DC trip information.