Military History Museums & Sites
While a handful of individuals may have access to military bases or the Pentagon, most of us just view the military from the outside looking in. To truly get a sense of their history, culture - and sacrifice - we suggest you take a trip to visit the attractions, museums, and memorials that tell their story. Fairfax County is the ideal base camp for exploring the military experience.
Must See Capital Region Military History Museums & Sites
- The state-of-the-art National Museum of the United States Army is brand new and their free timed-entry tickets are in hot demand. Located on the public grounds of Fort Belvior, the Army’s first national museum is a technological marvel using the latest advancements in museum exhibits to tell the story of over 30 million men and women who have worn the Army uniform since 1775.
- National Museum of the Marine Corps — Designed to evoke the image of the flag-raisers of Iwo Jima, the National Museum of the Marine Corps is a lasting tribute to U.S. Marines. Combining world-class exhibits with innovative interactive technology, you’ll be immersed in the sights and sounds of being a Marine.
- The US Marine Corps Memorial is one of the most visited memorials in Northern Virginia due to its excellent view of DC and the iconic symbolism showing the marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima.
- United States Air Force Memorial - A national place of pride, reverence, and remembrance dedicated to the men and women of the United States Air Force and its heritage organizations. Three stainless steel spires soar into the sky, inspired by the contrails of the Thunderbirds in a precision “bomb burst” maneuver.
- United States Navy Memorial and Naval Heritage Center - Featuring the “Granite Sea” map of the world, the memorial honors the men and women of the U.S. Navy with towering masts, fountains, and an iconic symbol of their mission to honor, recognize, and celebrate the men and women of the sea: The Lone Sailor statue.
We even have a handy itinerary PDF File for your touring pleasure. Plan now to visit Northern Virginia and salute our nation's military history!
Military History Museums, Attractions, & Sites
On the Blog
Military Deals and Discounts