Address:8780 Lorton Road
Lorton, VA 22079
The Barrett House is a two and one-half-story wood-frame house originally built in circa 1901 for owner William Wimsatt, a lumber merchant from the District of Columbia. It was constructed in the American Foursquare style, a subtype of the Prairie style, and later expanded and renovated for use as officer and employee housing for the District of Columbia’s low-security Workhouse prison farm in Lorton. Barrett House is coming soon to the Fairfax County Park Authority’s Resident Curator Program, which allows caretakers to live rent-free in historic properties in exchange for helping to rehabilitate the property and allowing occasional public access.