Marker is located about 1/4 mile south of Ox Hill Battlefield Park. On September 1, 1862, during the Second Manassas Campaign, the Reid farmhouse was a prominent landmark in the Battle of Ox Hill or Chantilly. Union infantry led by Gens. Isaac Stevens and Philip Kearny advanced from the vicinity of this house to engage the Confederates of Gen. Stonewall Jackson. From positions near the Reid House, Federal artillery supported the attack, shelling Confederates in the woods at the north end of the Reid farm fields. During the battle, the Reid House sheltered wounded Union soldiers who later were carried to the Millan place, known as Oakley, where a field hospital was established.