National Travel & Tourism Week
The first full week of May is annually recognized as National Travel and Tourism Week, a tradition first celebrated in 1984. This year, there is more reason than ever to celebrate the collective strength of the U.S. travel and tourism industry and its dynamic workforce. The 39th annual NTTW, taking place May 1-7, recognizes the Future of Travel and spotlights the collective strength of the U.S. travel industry and the critical role that travel will play in driving economic growth and building the path forward.
What Industry Leaders Say About Travel
Prior to the pandemic, the travel industry was a powerful economic engine, supporting jobs and driving local economies in every pocket of America. The industry had experienced 107 straight months of growth, generated $2.6 trillion in economic output, supported 17 million American jobs and delivered a $51 billion trade surplus to the U.S.
From our wonderful restaurants and numerous hotels to our beautiful parks and cultural attractions, Fairfax County's travel and tourism industry contributes so much to our local economy and our community’s unique character. From all of us at Visit Fairfax, we are so excited to share the full power of our industry - and the strength and spirit of Fairfax County - this NTTW.
Why Tourism Matters
Tourism in Fairfax County, Virginia
- In 2019, travel brought in more than $3.42 billion to Fairfax County and delivered over $233 million in state and local tax revenues.
- Visitors to Fairfax County directly supported over 31,700 local jobs.
- The jobs supported by visitors produce earnings of $759 million.
- Visit Fairfax generates over $200 million every year in net incremental return - a 74 to 1 return on investment.
- With over 20,000 rooms in over 100 hotels, Fairfax County sold over 5 million room nights throughout the year.
Tourism in Virginia and the United States
- More than 236,000 Virginia jobs are supported directly by travel spending with earnings of more than $6.4 billion.
- Domestic travel and tourism in Virginia resulted in $3.6 billion in tax revenue.
- Tourism in the United States saves every household more than $1,398 in taxes yearly.
- Direct travel spending in the United States totaled $1,127 billion (or $1.1 trillion) into our economy in 2019.
*From US Travel Association and Virginia Tourism, 2019 data.