National Travel & Tourism Week
The first full week of May is annually recognized as National Travel and Tourism Week, a tradition first celebrated in 1984. The 41st annual NTTW, taking place May 19-25, 2024, will spotlight the essential role that travel will play in driving economic growth and innovation through the theme #TravelForward. The tourism industry is comprised of passionate people who represent the spirit of hospitality.
What Industry Leaders Say About Travel
Travel serves as a catalyst for a productive U.S. economy and helps power the success of other industries. The U.S. travel industry generated a $2.6 trillion economic output in 2022 and supported 15 million jobs, fueling communities, small businesses and working families across the country.
From our wonderful restaurants and numerous hotels to our beautiful parks and cultural attractions, Fairfax County's travel and tourism industry contributes so much to our local economy and our community’s unique character. From all of us at Visit Fairfax, we are so excited to share the full power of our industry - and the strength and spirit of Fairfax County - this NTTW.
Why Tourism Matters
Tourism in Fairfax County, Virginia
- In 2021, travel brought in nearly $2.5 billion to Fairfax County and delivered over $200 million in state and local tax revenues.
- Visitors to Fairfax County directly supported approximately 18,000 local jobs.
- The jobs supported by visitors produce earnings of $842 million.
- Visit Fairfax generates nearly $190 million every year in net incremental return - a 60 to 1 return on investment.
- With nearly 20,000 rooms in over 100 hotels, Fairfax County sold over 3 million room nights throughout the year.
Tourism in Virginia and the United States
- More than 185,000 Virginia jobs are supported directly by travel spending with earnings of more than $7.1 billion.
- Domestic travel and tourism in Virginia resulted in $1.8 billion in tax revenue.
- Tourism in the United States saves every household more than $776 in taxes yearly.
- Direct travel spending in the United States totaled $25.2 billion into our economy in 2021.
*From US Travel Association and Virginia Tourism, 2021 data.