National Travel & Tourism Week
The first full week of May is annually recognized as National Travel and Tourism Week, a tradition first celebrated in 1984. Localized events are presented in cities, states and travel businesses nationwide to champion the power of travel. It was established as National Tourism Week when the U.S. Congress passed a joint resolution in 1983 designating the week to be celebrated in May. In a White House ceremony, President Ronald Reagan signed a Presidential Proclamation urging citizens to observe the week with "the appropriate ceremonies and activities."
Since its establishment, the U.S. travel community has collectively marked the event in a number of creative ways, from staging local rallies and conducting media outreach to securing proclamations and resolutions from local legislative bodies.
The theme of NTTW 2018, "Travel Then and Now," is all about celebrating the contributions and accomplishments of the U.S. travel community over the course of the last several decades. Share your travel stories from then and now with us using #TravelNow and in the spirit of Throwback Thursdays, #TBTravel.
Why Tourism Matters
Tourism in Fairfax County, Virginia
- Tourism brings in more than $3.03 billion to Fairfax County and delivers over $200 million in state and local tax revenues.
- Visitors to Fairfax County directly support over 30,000 local jobs.
- The jobs supported by visitors produce earnings of $668 million.
- Visit Fairfax generated an estimated economic impact to our community of over $131 million - a 52 to 1 return on investment.
- With over 20,000 rooms in over 100 hotels, Fairfax County sold over 4.9 million room nights throughout the year.
Tourism in Virginia and the United States
- More than 229,000 Virginia jobs are supported directly by travel spending with earnings of more than $5.6 billion.
- Domestic travel and tourism in Virginia resulted in $3.3 billion in tax revenue.
- Tourism in the United States saves every household more than $1,250 in taxes yearly.
- Direct travel spending in the United States totaled $990.3 billion into our economy in 2016.
*From US Travel Association and Virginia Tourism, FY16 data.